WHAT?!! Capitialism Wasn't Enriched by Colonialism?!!!

FTDOCO.jpg
The idea that Western capitalism was built on slavery and colonial plunder serves as an "original sin" story of both capitalism and the West. It therefore fits perfectly into [the current] woke anti-capitalist zeitgeist.
It is also wrong. 

— Kristian Niemietz.  May 1, 2024

This Kristian Niemietz character must be denounced for exposing the truth behind contradicting the Party's™ narrative historical justification for deceiving and oppressing educating and liberating the masses and agitating raising the consciousness of backward 3rd worlders marginalized people who benefitted from suffered under effective governance colonialism and employment slavery! 

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2024/0 ... ort-finds/

Slavery destroyed the economy of the South for generations.

When I was but a wee lad, back when they still taught something called American History in grade schools, we were taught that the Civil War* was the agrarian South versus the industrialized Northern states, and that's one reason why the South lost.

There's more to it than, that, but basically it's true.

Slave labor may have benefited the cotton growers and similar landed gentry who were trying to hold onto what was basically European feudalism, but if you were a poor white in the South, slavery was the competition that kept the economy depressed. It was also a flawed system that discouraged major investment and industrial development. If you were a Quaker banker in Philadelphia, you had much better things to do with your money.

Oh, and it all eventually led to a war. Although there were a lot of issues involved (State's rights, state / regional / individual pride being a few), it is undeniable that the desire of the Southern "aristocracy" to continue to hold slaves was a factor. That war cost around 750,000 American lives and devastated our economy. The generally accepted figure for the number of African slaves brought to these shores before the practice was outlawed is 406,000 or so. 406,000 versus 750,000 dead? Reparations? Hell NO!

The idea that "Slavery built America" is absolute nonsense. It caused tremendous damage that reverberated for decades.

Slavery is also not the cause of the racial strife we have in America today. Many blacks in this country are not even descendants of slaves. Kamala "Heels Up" Harris and Barack Hussein Obama being prominent examples. For what the Left calls such a "horribly racist country", a lot of black folks have come here by choice. The problem today is ignorance, entitlement, and grievance culture.

In the words of that esteemed late 20th century philosipher, Rodney Glen King, "Can't we all just get along?"

*War of Northern Agression

Red Zeppelin wrote:
5/3/2024, 11:52 am
Slavery destroyed the economy of the South for generations.

When I was but a wee lad, back when they still taught something called American History in grade schools, we were taught that the Civil War* was the agrarian South versus the industrialized Northern states, and that's one reason why the South lost.

There's more to it than, that, but basically it's true.

Slave labor may have benefited the cotton growers and similar landed gentry who were trying to hold onto what was basically European 
What you wrote is valid, but the guy was referring to British and European colonialism in the modern era, not American slavery or Civil War.

RE: What you wrote is valid, but the lady was referring to British and European colonialism in the modern era, not American slavery or Civil War.

Yes, I get that, Comrade Colonel. Just looking at the issue from a strictly American perspective.

Makes me think of one of my favorite poets, Rudyard Kipling.....he had a lot to say about the burdens of British colonialism.

BTW, I thought the author was a dude...? Of course, these days you can't be sure.

Red Zeppelin wrote:
5/3/2024, 1:30 pm
BTW, I thought the author was a dude...? Of course, these days you can't be sure.
I stand corrected. The author is a dude. At least I I think he's a dude—you can seldom tell with someone who attends university in Berlin.